Take Action! Day on the Hill 2022
Universal School Meals in Massachusetts K-12 Schools
We don’t expect our schoolchildren to pay for their bus rides, desks and chairs or the Chromebooks they used for remote learning, so why do we ask them to pay for meals?
Please contact your state senator and state representative and ask them to support free school breakfast and lunch for all K-12 students. This is even more important now, as Congress did not approve continued federal funding to help states pay for the free school meals offered to children during the first two years of the pandemic.
Follow these steps:
1. Look up your state senator and state representative and get their email addresses: https://malegislature.gov/Search/FindMyLegislator
2. Click the link to open the template to copy the letter into the body of the emails: Use this template.
3. Copy and paste it into an email to your state senator. Add the senator’s name at the top (Dear ___).
4. Copy and paste it into an email to your state representative. Add the representative’s name at the top (Dear ___).
5. In the subject line, type: Please support universal school meals! ( Send your emails!
7. Send the Day on the Hill 2022 handout as an attachment to the emails.8. Follow-up on social media — FB, Instagram, Twitter, #FeedKidsMA
Want to learn more?
Read an article on the end of federal funding for school meals:
Learn more about the state bill calling for free school meals:
Senate version (S.314): https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/S314House version (H.714): https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/H714